Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Kokeshi Doll

A friend of mine is adopting a baby girl from Kuazakhstan and I wanted to pull together a few gifts from the heart, so I decided to attempt a baby doll. A craft book Allen got me for Christmas was the original inspiration for this project. I then stumbled across a "Kokeshi Doll" on Etsy and thought it would be great for a beginner . . . I later discovered that this particular style of doll is popular in Kuazakhstan, which made it the perfect doll to attempt. I was happily surprised by how smoothly the process went. I didn't have a pattern or instructions, just THIS photo posted by Made by Maisie, so I decided to take step-by-step pics this time to show you how to do it if it's something you'd like to attempt. I apologize in advance for my amateurish instructions. :)

Step 1
Cut two circles for the face (I traced around a bowl), and cut two pieces of fabric the shape you desire for the body.
Step 2:
Hand stitch the facial features. I chose stars for the eyes and a simple curly line for the mouth because I wanted to stick to the traditional style.
Step 3: Cut 2 circles the same size as the ones you cut for the head from the fabric you desire to use for the hair (I used an old sweater, imagine that! ;) ). Then cut one of the circles in the shape you want the doll's hair in front. I freehanded it to printer paper first.
Step 4: Sew the hair to the front of the dolls face (you'll have to hand stitch the hair line). Then, sew the the full circle you cut for the hair and another full circle of the normal fabric together. Lay the two head pieces front to front and sew them together, leaving the neck open.

Step 5: Sew the body together laying the two pieces front to front. . . Leave the top of the body open around the neckline.

Step 6: Stuff the head and body
Step 7: Hand stitch the neck to the body
Step 8: Embellish . . . I put a bow around her neck and a flower in her hair. :)
It's the same concept as a Lovie really, just fully stuffed. Jonah LOVED it! He cried when I took it away. Maybe I'll make him a boy version one day. . . (that is if Daddy approves!) :)

This is a doll anyone can make! It's about a 5 hour project (for a novice) . . . I highly recommend it! ;)

1 comment: