Saturday, December 18, 2010

Upcycled Sweater Stockings

These upcycled sweater stockings stand as a testament to the fact that the essence of Eve is inspiring me deeply in the realm of all things feminine. Perhaps its the overload of estrogen surging through my body these days, or maybe I'm simply making frail and desperate attempts to develop greater strength in areas of perceived weakness in effort to become a woman worthy of imitation. I'm not really sure, but I like what she's surfacing in me.

While searching for days for the perfect stocking for Eve, I stumbled across the designer Bloom and Barnacle on Etsy and absolutely fell in love with her stockings. They were the first I saw that aligned with my vision for Eve's. My initial instinct was to purchase one, and then the thought came to me . . . "Perhaps I have the ability to make one myself! . . . Yes, of course I have the ability! In fact, I'll make 4?!" (Just for the record, I'm one of the least crafty people I know).

A conversation I had with Allen a couple of weeks prior surfaced in my mind. After sharing with him a desire I had to quilt Eve's bedding, he smiled and sweetly yet condescendingly (in my opinion) said, "Sweetheart, if I wanted to exercise my masculinity by becoming more proficient at working on automobiles, I wouldn't start by rebuilding an engine. I'd learn to change the oil."

And so these stockings are my frail attempt at doing just that. . . Changing the oil. :)


First, I purchased sweaters at Goodwill and Southern Thrift (less than $3 a piece).

Then I turned the sweaters upside down so that I could use the bottom bands as the top of my stockings and free handed the shape I desired. I would suggest using a pattern if you want them to be perfect. I was aiming for a more eclectic look, so I didn't use one.

After that, I cut the fabric. Before you cut, make sure you figure in a 1/2 inch seam or so all the way around (something I didn't do being the novice that I am).

Then I laid the two pieces front to front, so that the inside of the sweater was facing out and pinned around the sides that needed to be stitched.

I then sewed around the edges and surged two of them due to the thickness of the fabric (surging is optional). Thanks to my Mom-in-law for the excellent sewing lesson!

I then "blocked" them (another technique I learned from my Mom-in-law) by pinning them to the ironing board in the shape I desired and steaming for several minutes. This locks in their form.

After that I took them to an embroidery shop to have our names added to the top (I'm not daring enough at this point to attempt it myself).

And lastly, I embellished using bells and ribbon for the boys and felt and button flowers for the girls. I made the felt flowers using this video tutorial.

I highly recommend this project!! If I can do it, ANYONE can!! Believe me! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment